Re: Alumaweld?

To: "jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com>
Subject: Re: Alumaweld?
From: Ron Tebo <tebomr@cadvision.com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 07:36:19 -0600
jumpin'jan wrote:

> Jarrid,
>         I don't have any experience with it, but I would like to bring up for
> discussion an aluminum filling putty called "LabMetal". The local
> welding supply store supplies it as well as the local bearing store.
> >From what I have seen of the samples of it, I would like to try it. It
> is putty material that is applied to the area to be repaired or
> modified. Let it dry and then machine just like metal. No heat required
> at all.
> Jan
>
> --

Jan:

I got curious about this stuff after you mentioned it, and did some searching.
Apparently, it is the answer for filling where epoxy based fillers won't work
(powder coating etc.), according to company claims.

http://www.alvinproducts.com/product_line.htm

However, they also advise that it can't be used for joining (T.S. of 650 psi).
Oddly enough, I couldn't find specs. on the company page but did on one of their
distributors at

http://www.newmantools.com/lab.htm

The question I have for you is, could this stuff be used in place of lead for
filling seams etc
and what implications would this have for priming and painting? Would you have
to use special primer where it was used or would ordinary stuff work?

Ron Tebo