[6pack] Alternator--'75 Tr-6

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] Alternator--'75 Tr-6
From: wcwellbaum@cox.net
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 03:17:46 +0000 (GMT)
An electronic diagnostic check of my charging system showed an very weak
battery and a bad diode in the alternator.  The 11 year old battery was
replaced two weeks ago and sat on a battery tender until yesterday. A
  rebuilt alternator was installed yesterday--by me. Unplug the old and
plug in the new. The car fired immediately with a fresh battery and the
voltmeter showed the system charging at 13 volts. However, my multimeter
showed the battery at 12 .6 volts regardless of engine speed.  I loaded
up the system with headlights and fan and could not see any difference
in the rate of charge.  12.6 volts flat--regardless of engine speed.
Drove it a few miles and checked the battery again and it was showing
12.3 volts.  While running I pulled off the positive lead from the
battery and the engine died immediately.  So the engine was running off
the battery--not the alternator.  Of course, I suspect a duff
alternator.  Freshly rebuilt and sold by one of the 'big 3.'  I
disconnected the plug from the alternator and with the engine running
tried to get a reading  to see if the alternator was putting out
anything--but all I got was a rapidly changing reading on my
meter--really rapid--some sort of jibberish.  So, short of taking the
alternator to a speialty shop to have it tested what can I do to
determine is there is output from my 2 day old unit?  If yes--than I
must have a problem somewhere between the wiring plug to the alternator
and the battery--yes?

Bill Wellbaum
Las Vegas