Re: [6pack] Alternator question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] Alternator question
From: lfm614@aol.com
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 23:19:12 +0000
From: wcwellbaum@cox.net
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 22:09:14
To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Alternator question

Need some advice on where to turn:

I have a '75 Tr-6.  It sits in my garage on a battery tender when not on
the road.  This morning I started it up and noticed a faint glow from
the red ignition light.  Increasing the rpm's made the red light
brighter.  Stepping on the brake pedal or turning on the headlights made
the red light brighter still.  I noticed the headlights do not have a
crisp white color--more yellowish.

The battery shows 12.6 volts with engine off.  On Startup the multimeter
shows 14.6 volts from idle up to 3500 rpm--not much change in charging
rate with changes in rpm.  Alternatore was rebuilt 3-4 years ago--few
miles since.

Battery does take and hold a charge but only for a month or so if not on
a tender.  And yes--the battery is 8-10 years old.  I know, I know.

So is the problem related to:

1.  Old and tired battery.
2.  bad ground (hint--yellowish headlights)--and if so--where go I start
looking for a corroded ground.
3.  Failure of the alternator --which does charge but at a steady rate.
4.  Diode falure in the alternator.

Any suggestions?

Bill Wellbaum
Las Vegas