Re: [6pack] Rebuilding an engine

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] Rebuilding an engine
From: Bob <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 19:42:47 -0400
On Thursday 29 October 2009 04:04:41 pm Ron Landis wrote:
> Listers:
>
> Question should I attempt to rebuild my TR250 engine, which still runs.  Or
> do I found a newer TR6 engine?  I have never done this before but want to
> try. How hard is it?
>
> Ron
> 68TR250+65
Ron,

In the the past I have rebuilt a couple of 3 motors and about 4 years ago I
rebuilt my 4 engine.

In order to upgrade my current 3 engine to the new rear seal + a general
rebuild, I had a Triumph shop do the task. I got lazy!

But on my current 72 TR6 project, I decided to do the rebuild myself with the
help of my local machine shop.

Here is what I did:

Totally disassembled the engine with lots of notes and photos.

De-greased all the external and internal parts.

Took the cam, crank, pistons and block to the machine shop for boiling, and a
check of crank journals, pistons, cam lobes etc and cylinders.

They boiled the crank and block. honed the cylinders, polished all bearing
journals on crank and cam. No grinding or boring was required as everything
was in spec.

While this was being done, I cleaned all the other parts and painted etc.

I had the distributor rebuilt by Jeff at Advanced.

Reassembled the short block with new std bearings, slightly oversized upgraded
thrust washer, new rings, seals, oil pump. Also before installing the clutch I
had the flywheel surfaced. So now the short block is installed and ready for
the head etc.

I just picked up my head at the shop today.

They:

Boiled and pressure cleaned the exterior and water jacket.

Installed hardened exhaust seats.

Installed new bronze valve guides.

Planed the head surface a few millimeters to insure a flat surface.

Valve job.

I just finished adding the 3rd coat of paint.

Tomorrow I will install the valve springs and store the head until spring when
I will install the head, carbs, water pump and jet coated exhaust manifold.

I have replaced the ZS carbs with SU HS6.

It does take some time but if you work slow and pay attention to detail:

I.E. dont mix up the conn rods with their caps, Install the main journal caps
correctly and in the correct order etc.

ALso make sure the pistons point to the front!

Also glad to hear that the 72 version of the TR6 engine is the strongest!

Bob