Re: [6pack] Indicator flashers

To: Henri Lefebvre <75teer6@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Indicator flashers
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 17:52:51 -0600
Henri Lefebvre wrote:
> Because:
>   I do not always have a passenger/messenger;
>   The Turn indicator light in the instrument is small and dim;
>   My turn stalk does not always return to the off position;
>   And the ambient noise, sorry, sweet sound of the exhaust;
>
> I bought a heavy duty and louder flasher unit and, using wire
> extensions, I mounted it on the driver's side.

This is a much more common problem than just on cars with a lot of road
noise.  On the buses my former employers produced, there was a move to
PAL chip-controlled electricals, mostly as a way to reduce the amount of
wiring, but also as a selling point (quicker electrical problem
diagnosis).  When this was done, it virtually eliminated other
electromechanical devices.  While the switches (floor-mounted, press-on,
press-off, similar to old-style dimmer switches) remained, they simply
made or broke ground to a particular circuit in a nearby networked
module, and other modules received signals from the communications
network to power the turn indicator lights, all of it happening
virtually silently.

They discovered after a few weeks of having the buses in service that
the agencies were getting lots of complaints from the public about buses
never turning off turn signals, as motorists in adjacent lanes were a
little spooked about passing them with the turn indicators on.  The
answer was to add audio feedback, since the dash turn indicator
apparently wasn't enough for the bus drivers to notice.  We just added
an empty relay in the dash with relay coil power supplied by the left
front turn circuit, so the relay would audibly click on and off with the
turn indicator.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....