Re: [6pack] [TR] tr6 clutch problems

To: Al Salvatore <tr6parts@charter.net>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] [TR] tr6 clutch problems
From: "Sally or Dick Taylor" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 05:46:56 GMT
Alan---I'll repeat what to look for, as the clutch system could be fuzzy, until
you go thru this several times.
The early six had a larger Clutch MC bore, which sent more fluid down stream.
This made for a longer stroke at the Slave Cylinder to disengage the clutch, so
the system was more tolerant of wear in the pedal box. From 1970 on, the CMC
was smaller, by popular demand from those having bunions or perhaps wearing
high heals.
For your check, it is necessary to have around 1/2 inch of movement from the
SLAVE cylinder pushrod when depressing the clutch. If there's appreciably less
movement than this, the linkage inside the bellhousing won't disengage the
clutch (or make the release point very close to the floor).

Note: The "longer SC adjustable pushrod" does absolutely nothing to help the
cause here The light spring behind the piston inside the SC should keep all
play out of the linkage, making "adjustment for play" moot.

IF you have to remove the gearbox again to replace a broken fork pin, take the
extra step and add a roll pin thru the fork and the clutch operating shaft.
Triumph's design to have a stressed pin in single shear was never a good idea.

Dick