[6pack] Gas tank float and OD problem solved

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] Gas tank float and OD problem solved
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 12:24:05 -0700 (PDT)
I had a similar problem with my gas gauge sending unit float and got the
answer from someone on the list (thanks to whoever that was).  They
recommended that I take the old float off and take it down to the Ford dealer
where they sell a very similar one for one of their cars.  The parts guy knew
by sight what I needed and got me a brass one (which is what they should have
used in the first place) and charged me less than $10.00.  It just snaps back
into the semicircular wire lever and "bob's your uncle".

On another issue I asked for advice from the list about my A type OD which
would not re-engage after I had driven the car for an hour or so while using
the OD.  I recently found a loose connection where the OD harness on the
transmission mates to the one on the steering column OD selector.  In checking
the connection further I discovered the problem was probably the barrell type
female connector that connected the two male ends.  I removed the barrel
connector and discovered that the metal insert that grasps the two male ends
(this is not meant as erotica though it begins to sound like it) had broken
into three pieces.  The result was that the three metal pieces were lying
loose inside the rubber surround but still making contact with the two ends of
the harness.  As the connector and wires warmed up from use the rubber
surrounding the metal became softer reducing the strength of the contact and
causing the circuit to be unable to carry the
 necessary current to engage the OD.  At least that's what I think was
happening.  Strange things happen when you are dealing with electrical parts
(especially LUCAS parts) that are 40 or so years old.

Mike Lunsford