Re: [6pack] Battery Vapors

To: Colin Thom <colinthom@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Battery Vapors
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 09:31:32 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, Colin Thom wrote:

> Hi Gang
>

> I've just replaced my "maintenance free" battery with a real one that
> actually has removable cell caps. In the past, I've noticed on some cars
> that the paint on the underside of the bonnet, right above the battery is
> often blistered. Having spent big bucks on my paint job, I want to avoid
> this. Other than putting a shower cap over the battery, I'm stumped. Any
> suggestions? Thanks all. Colin.

I'll add one - DON'T OVERCHARGE THE BATTERY.

This causes the battery to vent. It will wreck the paint all around it as
the gasses coming out of the battery are hydrogen and oxygen,  but also
some of the electrolyte will escape.

If you do overcharge (or maybe as a preventitive maintenance), wipe the
battery paint around the battery with a cloth and a mild solution of
baking soda to neutralize any acid that has condensed on the paint. Once
all the paint is wiped, then wipe the battery.

rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489