[6pack] Low Frequency Shimmy

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Low Frequency Shimmy
From: <brian@asmoothmove.biz>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 11:13:14 -0500
     I reaped an interesting benefit to replacing my stock rear axle sliding
members. My old axles had worn splines, but newer u-joints. The clunking
became so irritating that I finally replaced them with the up-rated sliders
from Revington TR. The clunking ceased, but another problem disappeared as
well. The car always had a low-frequency shimmy at around 55 miles per hour.
It seemed to emanate from the front-end, and was so pronounced that I always
avoided that speed. Being a frame-off restoration with rebuilt drive train
and suspension (except the aforementioned axles) and well-balanced Dayton
wires and red-lines, I could never figure out the cause of the shimmy.

    Apparently, the old axles must have wobbled or vibrated at a resonance
that manifested itself as the shimmy. With the new sliding axles, the shimmy
is gone. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had similar
results.

Brian J. Alwin

72 TR6 CC79085