Re: [6pack] The TR6 rear-end clunk

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] The TR6 rear-end clunk
From: Raymond Hatfield <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 08:12:13 -0700 (PDT)
Lee,

I'm not an expert, but from my experience:

1.  Backlash doesn't sound like an issue.
2.  If you have any play in your u-joints, you need to replace them.
3.  Play in the axle splines is not good, but you could be mistakeing u-joint
play for it - test it again after replacing u-joints.
4.  From your description, it doesn't sound like diff mounts should be an issue.

If I were to diagnose from your description, it sounds like your u-joints are
badly worn, and the clunk you hear is caused by the amount of play in the
u-joint.

Raymond L. Hatfield