Re: [6pack] TR6 cams...

To: Kendall Larsen <mailkendall@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] TR6 cams...
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:21:14 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Kendall Larsen wrote:

>>> Just tossing in a whopping cam does nothing until you get to 9:1 and more.
>>> It does a LOT when you get to 12:1, but then you can't drive on the
>>> street.
>
> Hey RML,
>
> What does that really mean. "Can't drive it on the street?"
>
> Won't idle below 1500 rpm?

Depends on the cam. My Piper BP 270 idles nicely at 900 or so.

> No low end torque?

Nope - PLENTY of low-end torque. My race car is set up to pull from 2000
to 7000. Power is everywhere. But I also run gears (4.33 rear witha quaife
and the "triumph close-ratio" setup with the 1.73 1st gear). So with the
gearing, you pretty much have to light 'em up to get a smooth take off.

> Can't drive it until fully warm?

You can, but most racers WON'T. Cold oil means BIG PRESSURE. Also, the
pistons (forged Venolia) rattle a bit when cold.

> On / off throttle response?

This is no prob. The current motor is pretty smooth from slow to fast.

> 106 octane fuel only?

Yep. I ran pump gas with 94 octane one. hammered a rod bearing. I'll never
do that again.

I actully run 110 leaded, but that's because it's all I can get from the
local race fuel vendors. I could get away with unleaded as long as it's 98
or more octane. Otherwise I have to back off the timing a lot.

> did I miss anything?

nope. The fuel is the biggie. If I ran less ignition advance, I could
probably run the 10:1 motor on the street, but the power is overkill.

The "thing" about TR6's is that they handle, not that they take off like a
rocket.

But to make the race car streetable, I'd have to raise it (currently the
front sway bar mounts are 1-7/8" from the ground then the car is level)
and it is really easy to bottom the car out. I also only fit 23x9x15
slicks which pick up everything on the street - punctures are pretty easy
to get. There's also no lights (extra weight - C YA!) and the roll cage is
good for roll overs, but BAD for drivers with no helmet. I can't speak for
all states, but I know that driving a car with a helment is illegal in my
state!

But the car is pretty impractical for the street. It can accelerate pretty
quick and it changes directions extremely fast... it's not a go-kart, but
it's pretty close considering that it weighs 1600 pounds more than one.

> Kendall

rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489