Re: [6pack] Rota RB wheels

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Rota RB wheels
From: "Robert N. Clark" <rclark@robertsonclark.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:45:29 -0700
Because a TR6 stock tire size had a substantial sidewall dimension, the
move from a 15" wheel to a 17" wheel is not that significant.  A
205/60/17 tire (if it exists) would have a sidewall height of 4.84 which
is huge by modern standards.  A 205/55/17 tire has a sidewall height of
4.43 inches.  I don't think the suspensions in our cars are that fragile
that they would not be able to handle the increase in sidewall rigidity
created by the narrower sidewall.  If they were, then I would think the
switch from rubber to urethane bushes would have a greater impact on
suspension failure due to shock.

Bob Clark
'69 TR6