Re: [6pack] Worn pressure plate as the cause of clutch judder ?

To: stan.foster@hp.com (Foster, Stan)
Subject: Re: [6pack] Worn pressure plate as the cause of clutch judder ?
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 23:54:09 -0800
Stan--- The clutch plate, counting both sides, has about .120 of lining
on it before hitting the riivets. Altho we don't usually wear down a
clutch this far, I have seen them worn down to where there was only
about .030 of linng left, and the clutch did not slip. Having a step in
the pressure plate of about 1/32 is not in itself a reason for the
slippage. It should still "clamp". The problem most is likely from the
clutch plate not fitting or riiding down inside this step. If a part of
the disc is trying to ride the lip, it will slip and judder.
Different diameter clutch plates could be the culprit here.  Variations
of .125 aren't uncommon when going from one brand to another, and using
the old pressure plate.

I've never seen a pressure plate wear down like the one you have, but a
step in the flywheel could cause the same judder that you feel. (That, I
have experienced when changing to a different disc that was a little
larger)

A cocked pressure plate could also cause the slippage and judder, as
with Seth's '76 TR. You'll want to be sure that it mates flush with the
flywheel when installing. A few thin feeler gauges around the perimeter
can come in handy as you tighten down the clutch bolts.

I'd be interested in how you come out of this!

Dick

From:
 stan.foster@hp.com(Foster, Stan)

In 2006 as part of a gearbox project I replaced my clutch system with a
new one that included a Sachs pressure plate. About 400 miles after
installation I started experiencing clutch judder. This winter, at 800
miles since the new clutch, I had reason to pull the engine and tranny
so I got a look at the clutch.
The clutch plate shows negligible signs of wear when compared to a new
plate. The pressure plate on the other hand has a significant step in
it. I haven't measured it but you can see it and feel it. It might be
1/32 of an inch. The recessed area is shiny and has a wavy appearance.
My original B&B pressure plate which I still have is as flat as a
pancake despite the 10's of thousands of miles.
I was wondering how much a pressure plate could wear before the clutch
would start to slip, would an amount sufficient to create a noticeable
indent in the pressure plate be enough ?.
Stan