Re: [6pack] Shifting Woes

To: superchargedtr6@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [6pack] Shifting Woes
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 11:56:51 -0800
Seth--- It sounds like the disengagement problem stemmed from the clutch
being mislocated on the flywheel. When the t/o bearing contacted the
clutch fingers, some of them wouldn't act to separate the disc from the
pressure plate. This could cause the clutch disc to drag (turn), and
make engagement of first (and reverse) gear difficult.
I'm reasonably sure that replacing the three clutch alinement pins and
properly securing all of the clutch bolts will solve the problem for
you.

The preload strap is fastened at its back end to one of the transmission
cover bolts. It will be obvious which one when looking up from under the
car. The front end of this strap is connected to the spring that "loads"
the t/o bearing. The other end of the spring connects to the bottom of
the three holes in the clutch operating arm. There's a somewhat (my)
crude sketch of this connection in some of TRF's seasonal catalogues,
under " Gunst clutch t/o bearing upgrades". There might a better sketch
of this in one of Nelson's Buckeye articles.

Dick

  From: superchargedtr6@gmail.com(<superchargedtr6@gmail.com>)
Hi List,
I owe you a response to my shifting woes email I sent several months
ago. . If you recall, I suddenly had shifting into 1st problems (with
motor running) out of nowhere at the VTR Convention last July.
Well, finally pulled the gearbox with help from club members last week
and found nothing broken. I thought maybe a broken fork or bad release
bearing because the clutch was stuck in the engaged position and I had
normal movement on the slave cylinder pushrod.
Found nothing wrong/broken with the fork or Gunst bearing.

What was found was all but 1 bolt holding the clutch pressure plate to
the flywheel was very loose and 2 of the locating pins to position the
clutch on to the flywheel were lying at the botton of the bell housing.
it looked asif one of the fork pins had actually come out of the groove
in the release bearing, but not sure. I'm wondering if one of those
locating pins somehow got lodged in between the fork arm and dislodged
the pin from the bearing groove. I know, far fetched theory
Bottom line, still don't know what caused my shifting woes but put
everything back together on Sat and will test tomorrow (Tues) when I
fill the gearbox with gear oil.
I need to reinstall the Gunst pre-load spring but don't remember how it
goes and don't have the instructions that came with the throw out
bearing. Can anyone provide me with the install instructions for that
pre-load spring?
Many thanks and I'll report back after tomorrow re: if it works
Seth Glassman
'76 (S/C'd) TR6