Re: [6pack] engine swap / motor skip

To: 6parts@charter.net (Alan Salvatore)
Subject: Re: [6pack] engine swap / motor skip
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:35:05 -0800
Al---Partial  or no firing from one cylinder can certainly cause an
engine to feel "doggy", as you claim. Setting the lash a little too
loose (or too tight by a couple thou.) shouldn't be the cause of what
you're experiencing.. Nor should one's feel on using the feeler gauge.
However, if you set them too tight, like with no lash at all, then the
valve(s) wouldn't be able to close, and compression could drop out of
sight. A simple compression check would show this.

 Meanwhile, take another look at the #2 valves, to be sure there is some
lash. Set them to whatever is the std. for the type of cam you have.

Stop the engine so the dist. rotor is pointing right at the #2 plug wire
terminal in the cap. If your valve cover happens to be off at this time
you should be able to "twirl" both of the pushrods, indicating they're
on the cam's base circle.

Don't beat yourself up about getting the lash perfect. A set of valves
can lose their precise adjustment over the miles, and one would never
know it by the seat-of-the-pants.

If the valves are set "close enough" and you still have a dead #2, look
elsewhere.

Dick

E-mail message

m.net From: 6parts@charter.net(Alan Salvatore) Date: Mon,

I finished swaping motors and transmissions Friday.
Saturday the car ran real strong, I didn't know a 6 had that much power.
The only thing was the valves were clatering. So Sunday I proceed to
adjust the valves. They were a bit loose. Bad Move. Should have left
well enough alone. Put everything back together, and now its just as
doggy as the motor I took out.
Actually it seems # 2 cylinder is not firing. I changed plug wires, &
spark
plugs but still skipping.
So I must have screwed up the valve adjusting some how.

If the valves were off would that cause a cylinder not to fire? How easy
should the feeler guage move.

No drag or slight drag.
This is the same guy (me) who adjusted the valves on the other motor,
probably \why that one
never ran right.
Al Salvatore