[6pack] Fw: The U-Joints are removed

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Fw: The U-Joints are removed
From: "levilevi" <levilevi@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:46:44 -0700
Not sure how I discovered this...probably got mad and just whacked the yoke
out of frustration but I too found the u-joints tight and not moving freely
after having gotten then in.  I found that holding one side of the yoke on the
vice and striking the other side with a hammer loosened the u-joints until
they turned smooth as butter.   Its a bit non-intuitive but it works.

Its important where the points of contact are on the yoke for both sitting on
the vice (or anvil) and where you hit...which should be about half way between
the caps and where the yoke comes together.  Don't use the ends of the yoke or
you'll probably tighten them more or worse break the yoke.  I was amazed at
how well it worked to free up the u-joints...must be a reverse rebound or some
such thing but it worked.

One of those moments of serendipity where I went from despair that something
I'd worked so hard on was not working the way I knew it should to delight that
I'd discovered on my own how to make it feel just right.  I must have happily
played with that first one flip-flopping it around for 4-5 minutes before I
could believe I'd actually done something right to solve my problem.

After that I boldly pushed the caps in far enough (without over doing it) so I
could easily get the circlips in...knowing that I could get the u-joints to
turn freely later.

Did all my u-joints that way and made it to Valley Forge and back to Denver
with no problems so far.

Hope this helps some of you avoid some frustration at the end of your
efforts...worked for me.

Good Luck
Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck-Almost Parts)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)
Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977 Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)