Re: [6pack] TR250 right hand mirror

To: vance.navarrette@intel.com (Navarrette, Vance)
Subject: Re: [6pack] TR250 right hand mirror
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:35:50 -0800
>From what I've found so far is that straight edges are easier to get a
clean break, so your trapezoid mirror is definiely an easier candidate.
Grinding the edges to their final shape is less stressful on the glass.
More later...

Dick

Sender: 6pack-bounces+tr6taylor=webtv.net@autox.team.net From:
vance.navarrette@intel.com(Navarrette, Vance) Date: Wed, Jan 23, 2008,
10:52am To: lindquistse@gmail.com (Stephen Lindquist),
6pack@autox.team.net Subject: Re: [6pack] TR250 right hand mirror
                Steve:
                Somebody on the list
mentioned going to a stained glass window maker. They use a grinder to
shape glass for their windows, and probably have a better chance of
success than the glass shops. It seems likely that a grinder would take
longer but be less likely to break the glass, but I have not tried this
myself.
                Several people echoed my
experience of having a glass shop break a mirror while trying to cut it.
One or two reported that a glass shop actually succeeded in cutting the
mirror, but I noticed from their stories that they started with a larger
piece of glass than I (Mine was 5"). Perhaps starting with a larger
convex mirror increases the chance of success(?).
                Vance