Re: [6pack] U-Joint Removal

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] U-Joint Removal
From: PeterSchop@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:22:35 EST
Bob,
I just removed the U-joints on my six not long ago. I tried the  tapping on
the yoke method as described in the Bentley manual. So far,  nothing has popped
out of come apart on my TR6 as the manual states it should. I  tried pressing
them out with sockets with limited success.  I ended going  to my local
Harbor Freight store and bought their 3 in 1 ball joint press for  $39.95. It
is a
large heavy C-clamp with a hole in the end for the cap to  press into. You
tighten the clamp with a 1/2" x 7/8" socket. It was still a PIA  but doable.
The
next week I went down to my local Autozone to rent  a ball joint puller for
my front suspension and saw that they had the same  press that I had bought.
The way their rental policy works, you pay a deposit  worth more than the item
and when you bring it back, they refund you full  deposit so it is really free.

Hope this helps,
Peter Schoppelry
'69 TR6  CC26418L