Re: [6pack] diesel, was Hemmings email - non LBC

To: <Pimento73@aol.com>, <grant@bowtie6.com>, <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: [6pack] diesel, was Hemmings email - non LBC
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 22:14:18 -0000
Jack Mc wrote:
> I've heard that the pump colors (diesel vs. gasoline) in the U.K. can be a
> bit confusing to Americans - anybody else hear about the fellow who filled his
> friends Triumph up with diesel at a fuel stop on the Round Britain
> Reliability Run?

Here's the guide for visitors:

Pump hose colour:
Green - Unleaded 95 octane
Green - Unleaded 98 octane

The pump clearly identifies which type of unleaded you're buying

Black - Diesel - one grade only in the UK
Red - Lead replacement gasoline. This has not proved popular since leaded fuel
became unobtanium in
2000. Basically, its 98 octane unleaded with added potassium as the lead
substitute.

I think (from memory) these hose colours are the same throughout Europe

Jonmac