Re: [6pack] Short found /damn alternator

To: "alan g graffam" <otral@juno.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Short found /damn alternator
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:04:47 -0800
        Al:

        One way to kill an alternator in a hurry is to run it without a
battery connected. Make sure your alternator plug is clean, and that the
connectors in it are properly seated in the carrier and are not getting
pushed back into the carrier when you push in the plug.
        I killed a brand new alternator by not getting the plug fully
seated, I drove it around less than an hour and it stopped charging my
battery. When I got it home, I popped the hood and the plug had backed
out about 1/4". Aha! says I, I will just push the plug back in and
everything will be fine. Wrong. The alternator was toast.
        $90 and a trip to Napa and everything was fixed, but very
distressing that a loose plug cost $90. I would have fired my mechanic
on the spot, but since it was me I was a tad more forgiving.

        Talk about !%$^%$#%

        Vance