Re: [6pack] Spin-on Adaptor

To: rnorris1@swbell.net (Rick Norris)
Subject: Re: [6pack] Spin-on Adaptor
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 12:23:17 -0800
 Rick---The dealership that sold me my car new asked for my permission
to cut a (1-1/4 inch) hole in the inner fender. They claimed it would
assist them and anyone else who wanted to have access to the filter
bolt. After seeing the results, I can't imagine trying to get to this
bolt any other way!

So, while it may have been an engineer who recommended this alteration,
it seems to have been carried out by dealerships

Responding to "oil drain-back" from the original style canister, I wish
I could remember the exact amount, having done this test some years ago.
I do recall that it wasn't as much as I thought it would be. It's a
given that half the canister is below the block cavity, so no drain-back
can occur, and the filter element holding much of the upper half in
suspension when the engine is not running.

And as mjb pointed out, NO drain-back should occur when the whole unit
is below the oil exit level. (With the spin-on filters)

Dick
'73

Rick wrote:

Stuart, my '75 has a similar hole in the left fender well and, upon
discovering its utility for reaching the stock oil filter, I decided the
PO had to have placed it there. I was informed by those far more
knowledgeable than I that the well placed hole is standard equipment and
designed by an engineer that was on the payroll. In my case, with the
car up on jack, I can easily reach the canister to hold it in position
for securing from underneath the frame with my right hand while spinning
the ratchet with my left. And to think, we often find amusement in the
creations of engineers.
Rick Norris