Re: [6pack] cylinder head

To: john doe <rccpl1@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] cylinder head
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:32:44 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

The leak that you describe is probably exhaust. Sometimes the manifold
holder-oner-thingies don't seat well on the intake and exhaust manifolds
and provide uneven pressure. Hence an exhaust leak. I usually have to
re-torque them a couple of times to get everything nice and tight with no
leaks.

As far as setting the valves, the process described in excruciating detail
in the Bentley manual. Generally, you turn the motor 'till a pair of
valves are at full open (pushed down all the way" and you adjust the pair
of valves that are "opposite" in the firing order.

There's another method where you add 13, it's described here:

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/379775

The neat thing with the process as described in the Bentley book is that
you do and intake and exhaust at each "station" as opposed to the 13's
method where you set either an exhaust or an intake based on which valve
is down. I suppose you could do a pair if you know which valve is on the
same "phase" as the one you're watching... but like I said, the "book"
describes this method quite well. Just go one step at a time.

Hey - _I_ can do it. 'nuff said.

rml
Consultant            MIT IS&T unix-linux-help |
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489