Re: [6pack] Sway Bar....ARGHHHH

To: 75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org (Bob Danielson)
Subject: Re: [6pack] Sway Bar....ARGHHHH
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 13:35:48 -0800
 Bob---Can't help you with the original issue of the links being "too
short" for the larger bar, but it seems that you did the right thing,
with no obvious penalties for shaving down the bushings.  (I do recall
having to use a bottle jack under the ends of the bar, to compress the
rubber enough to get the nyloc nuts started)

 I believe the order for installing the front bar is to first bolt it up
to the front plate, via the two u-bolts with their bushings. Don't
tighten up the 'bolts until after the bar aligns with the end links. The
end links should appear to be vertical as the ends of the bar slips over
them. Then tighten up the nuts on the u-bolts.

Dick

From: Bob Danielson

I can't be the only person with a 7/8" front sway bar so......where did
you
buy you're end links?
My 7/8" sway bar was installed over 10 years ago by a restoration shop
after I bought the car. In looking through the Big 3 catalogs, the end
links and the mounting bracket to the lower control arm all appear to be
for a stock sway bar. However the threaded end of the end link is too
short to fit through all the bushings. I posted two pictures here
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/SwayBar.htm
When I look at the 7/8" bars that TRF sells, the end links look entirely
different as does the mounting kit. VB sells an ADDCO 7/8" bar but they
don't even show end links as part of the kit!
The only way I got this to fit was to take some sway bar poly bushings
and shave them down a little. And I know this isn't the preferred way of
fixing this!
Next question:
What's the proper order to installing & tightening the sway bar? I have
the front end up on two ramps and the rear end on jack stands so the
front suspension is "loaded". What order do you make the attachments:
end link to mounting bracket, end link to sway bar and sway bar to
frame? Or doesn't it matter?
Thanks
Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U