RE: [6pack] Engine Preluber +

To: lang@isis.mit.edu (Robert Lang)
Subject: RE: [6pack] Engine Preluber +
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 11:33:10 -0800
 I'm not one of those owners who have ever had a problem to the thrust
washers "wearing out" prematurely, or otherwise. I DO set them up snug
(.003 clearance) so the crankshaft doesn't have much room to bang back
and forth. Mostly because of this tighter-than-spec clearance, I got
into the habit of not using the clutch on cold starts. My thoughts here
is that I want more room for the oil to get to the working sides of the
washers. When the clutch is used, this clearance is reduced to the film
of oil that may or may not have been present before starting the engine.
What does all of this add up to? I have no way of proving that this
startup method does anything to prolong the washers life. I do know that
the ones in place have been in there for 50,000+ miles and I still see
no movement when levering the crank pulley back and forth.

Dick

lang@isis.mit.edu(Robert Lang)