RE: [6pack] Connecting red wire on Pertronix

To: "John Mitchell" <jmitch@snet.net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Connecting red wire on Pertronix
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 09:29:23 -0800
        John:

        That would not be a good choice. The hot lead to the oil
pressure switch comes through the anti-run on valve, and so will give a
significant voltage drop during normal operation. There really is no way
around it, you will need to run a wire somewhere. Best go to the
ignition switch (pins 3 or 5 will work just fine). Anything else has
issues - hot only when cranking, hot all the time, etc.
        You really want the Pertronix to only see power during cranking
and during running. No power when the ignition switch is off. The only
place I know to get that is at the ignition switch.
        If you are running a NON-BALLASTED coil, you can get the power
from the hot side of the coil. The 76 uses a ballasted coil normally, so
during normal operation the voltage at the coil is only 6 volts, not
enough for the Pertronix. So unless you have already modified the wiring
for a non ballasted coil, run a lead to the ignition switch.

        Vance