RE: [6pack] Differential Leak

To: "aldwyn@sylvancircle.org" <aldwyn@sylvancircle.org>, "6 Pack list"
Subject: RE: [6pack] Differential Leak
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 18:24:18 +0000
Removing the diff is very straightforward. Lots of nuts and bolts to undo
(prop shaft and drive shaft flanges) and the bolts that secure the diff to the
brackets. You may have to drop the exhaust to get it out and back in again
without a fight. I have done this on my own and I am no Charles Atlas.

It may be possible to replace the pinion seal alone without special tools or
expertise. Once you get into a full rebuild you need some skill and a large
press to get the drive shaft bearings off and there is some skill needed in
setting up the crown wheel and pinion backlash.

You can get the diff rebuilt (bearings, seals) for not a lot of money (< $400)
so personally if there is more going on than a pinion seal leak I would go
that route. The diff is small enough to ship safely.

Stan