RE: [6pack] Delco Alternator and Amp Gauge pulsing needle

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [6pack] Delco Alternator and Amp Gauge pulsing needle
From: MTRsix71@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 00:33:07 EDT
Thanks to Vance, Dick, and Berry,
The more I thought about it and from other's messages I decided to drop by
AutoZone and pickup a remanufactured Delco unit of the exact same model I
currently have. Peace of mind over ruled as I had no idea how old the unit was
and I have had the TR6 for 5+yrs. Decided to get a new universal alternator
bracket and cut to fit as well (one of those things I have been meaning to do
but never got around to it; if it ain't broke don't fix it!).

The new refurbished 63A alternator with two wire connection at 3  o'clock p/n
DL7127M $34.99 works like a champ and all is now normal with my  amp gauge
needle from idle up to 4500rpm. I will tear the old ALT apart to  see what is
inside and may rebuild it for the heck of it and as a spare. I paid  the $15.00
core since I had to cut about 1/4" off the housing to align the  pulley to
water/crank pulley.

Across battery posts I get good 12.6V. I did check the ALT output to rocker
cover bolt ground with the new one and getting 14.8V steady. Then across  BAT
+/- getting steady 14.4V. Looks good. I do need to add the additional ground
to body with the BAT negative cable (one day down the road).

Berry mentioned a link for a rebuilt kit for the Delco DL7127M from "Quick
Start Automotive Electric"- priced at $17.98 plus shipping and the bearing
doesn't seem to be included. Here is the website and kit  description:

_http://store.alternatorparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=304_
(http://store.alternatorparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=304)
      GM ALTERNATOR REPAIR  KIT
Fits 10 & 12-SI Internal Regulator Alt. from 35 to 65 amps.,  single or
double pulleys on GM cars, light trucks, marine, industrial and  other
applications
from 1971-1985.

Part #597 Kit Contents:
1-  Brush holder assembly