RE: [6pack] Grounding tail lights (was: Finding Short)

To: "John VanNorman" <jsvannorman@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Grounding tail lights (was: Finding Short)
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:45:46 -0700
        John:

        Yes, of course you can fit a ground wire to the existing
sockets.

        The normal sockets get their ground through the tail light
frame. The ears on the socket make contact with the tail light frame
when the socket is inserted into the assembly, and this how they are
currently grounded ("currently grounded" Get it? Hah-ha, I crack myself
up). Bob Daniels has a nice little article on the upgraded sockets you
mention:

        http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/TailLights.htm

        Bob's approach is the "belt *AND* suspenders" approach. Nothing
short of a direct hit by a tactical nuke will cause his tail light
grounds to go bad =:-o
        The problem with the existing sockets is not so much using the
tail light frame as the grounding point. Allegedly it is the internal
design of the sockets. The grounding ears are a separate piece of metal,
and rely on spring pressure to make contact with the lamp socket. It is
this internal connection to the lamp that tends to oxidize and result in
poor grounds. Usually you can swap a socket from left to right and the
problem will follow the socket. Having said that, please remember that
these are generalities and not absolutes.
        A fix for this is on the web somewhere (don't have the link).
Basically you peel off the rubber boot on a socket, and solder the
grounding ear assembly to the lamp socket. As I recall (always dangerous
- killed far too many brain cells in college) the internal socket
assembly can be separated from the plastic shell to facilitate access.
When done, the shell and rubber boot simply slip back on. This
eliminates the possibility of dirt and corrosion getting between the
grounding tab and the lamp socket.
        According to the article, this all but eliminates tail light
problems. I suppose you could clean the grounding ears with steel wool
while you are at it, just to keep the prince of darkness at bay

Hail Lucas, prince of darkness!! We are your slaves and declare our
undying loyalty to your nefarious designs.

        Vance