RE: [6pack] Radiator Cap Pressure Rating

To: "'Bob Danielson'" <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>,
Subject: RE: [6pack] Radiator Cap Pressure Rating
From: "Joseph Grant" <grant@bowtie6.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 21:27:47 -0400
Bob

>From what I have been able to find out by research, for every POUND of
pressure you get the boiling point to RISE by 3 degrees.  This is of course,
on water.  As noted on another reply, the boiling point of 50/50 mix might
be slightly higher.  So, those 3 degrees might change slightly.

I also noticed where great emphasis was given to old and worn hoses.
Indeed, those hoses would be good candidates for failure.  However, equally
important and very often overlooked is the effect that a higher cap -
yielding higher pressures - has on the radiator and heater core.  The
pressure ratings on those caps are there for a reason among them the
probability for damage to the flutes on the radiator and heater cores.  So,
don't just go out and replace your hoses and buy a higher pressure rated
cap!

Joe
'72 TR6 - CC77169
http://www.bowtie6.com/