RE: [6pack] Radiator Overflow Bottle

To: "Stuart Thompson" <stuartt@tlthompson.com>, "6 Pack list"
Subject: RE: [6pack] Radiator Overflow Bottle
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 13:16:28 -0700
        Stuart:

        It obviously does not hurt anything if your bottle is dry. The
intent of the bottle is to allow you to watch the coolant level and add
coolant without opening the radiator. The cooling system will draw down
the level in the overflow bottle when it needs coolant, and will push
coolant into the bottle when it has too much.
        I would make sure that there is at least 1/4 of a bottle of
coolant present when the engine is cold. If it subsequently disappears,
then your cooling system was low, so add some more.
        I keep mine 1/4 full and it seems to work fine.

        Vance