[6pack] any thoughts?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] any thoughts?
From: "oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 23:23:49 -0500
Hi, all.

a female friend of mine (NRI - that's no romantic interest) who recently
inherited a 50k mileage relatively original 74, took it to a very reputable
and quality british car repair shop and spent about 5k on it, and then went
on a 500 to 600 mile trip with us last weekend with no problems, just
emailed me with the following.  i'm headed over there saturday to see if i
can help; i'm no expert but i've had my 72 for about 7 years and have
learned at least a little..

i know this doesn't help much; i figure first look under the dashboard for
uninsulated wires touching, but after that i'm not sure what to do.  have a
multi meter and tools.  if any of you can give me a couple pointers i'd
really appreciate it.  i know electrical problems can be a total black hole,
but i want to help this friend out if i can.

thanks in advance to a great group!

Her comments:

Pulled in this evening about 10:45 with this sissing sound. Something
about this sissing noise and a faint smell was the first tip that had
me a little concerned when I left Arlington heading for Euless. Noticed
it more when I was stopping at the traffic lights.

Then when I pulled in the garage and turned her off, the sissing sound
persisted and then the smoke out from under the dash began. I figured
ya know this really doesn't look good. What to do. Oh yeah, move it out
of the garage for sure. Pop the hood - no flames well that's gotta be
a plus.

Fuses disconnected, battery disconnected.