RE: [6pack] Hydraulic clutch conversion

To: <samuelsma@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Hydraulic clutch conversion
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 08:30:33 -0700
        Michael:

        I am under the impression that by going to a hydraulic linkage,
the entire connection between the pedal and the throw out bearing
becomes self adjusting. The TR6 design is only self adjusting up to the
connection to the cross shaft.
        I suppose you might also argue that one gets rid of the dreaded
clutch fork pin, and eliminates concerns about flattening of the tips on
the clutch fork.
        My experience to date is that with an added roll pin (cost:
$0.59) the stock clutch is very satisfactory. People wishing to add an
overdrive of some sort are being driven by concerns other than gaining
the self adjusting feature. I would say however, that adding a 5 speed
conversion probably nets you nothing in terms of resale value, whereas
adding an overdrive will net you most, if not all, of your money back in
terms of resale.
        An intangible benefit of a Supra 5 speed conversion is the
elimination of a source of oil leaks. I must admit that is an attractive
perk.

        Vance