temp/fuel gauge

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: temp/fuel gauge
From: Kevin McNelis <kmcnelis@nmsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 21:48:13 -0600 (MDT)
Oh Omnicient One, all seeing and all knowing:

My temp gauge and fuel gauge are reading too high again.  I know it is
the voltage regulator/stabilizer/compensator/terminator/baked tater
thing.  But why do mine seem to keep going out over time?  About once a
year, the temp and fuel gauges get all funky, I replace the voltage
stabilizer, and all is welll for another year or so.  I tore one apart,
they are no longer the bi-metal heating element type like Dan Masters
describes, they are solid state.  Why would they wear out?  Is this
normal for all of you?  Or is something else amiss?

Kevin