High rpm problems

To: Friends <fot@autox.team.net>, Triumph <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: High rpm problems
From: "Chuck Arnold" <triosan@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 21:28:45 -0700
I have a problem with my engine -- it get to about 5000 rpm and will go no
further -- it kinda "Floats".

Here is the back ground: Engine made 7000 rpm in my TR6 with a Kent D9 cam,
12:1 compression, electromotive crank fired trigger, triple webers and a
header.  HP was about 165 at the wheels at 5800.

Put the engine in my TR250 and made these three changes:
1.  Kastner S9 cam grind [yielding about 1/2 lift at the valve.  Cam lobe
center of about 104 degrees and duration of 320 degrees.
2.  Mallory dual point distributor
3.  Mallory [I think] return style pressure regulator set at it lowest level
yielding 3 lbs pressure.

I am not knowledgeable enough to know what is causing the problem.  I have
not changed the valve springs, but have uprated ones from when I had the
head built a few years ago.  I think I read somewhere that with this much
duration and lift I should probably limit total ignition advance to 28
degrees -- it is now about 36 total [12 static, 24 mechanical].

So, I  am looking for ideas, from changing cam timing, changing valve
springs, limiting advance, to increasing fuel pressure or????

thanks in advance,

--
Chuck Arnold