RE: Tr6 - need

To: <richard.r.olson@faa.gov>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tr6 - need
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:48:50 -0700
        Rick:

        I have a unisyn but don't use it, as I feel that it affects the
idle too much when I place it over one of the carbs. I have a mild cam
in the motor, and the lower vacuum makes it too erratic when the carb
mouth is covered.
        Instead, I use a chunk of rubber hose, place one end at the
mouth of the carb, and listen to the other end. I then equalize the
volume of the hissing in each carb. This gives me pretty darn good
results.
        For the mixture adjustment, I gave up using the lift the slide
test. I think my cam once again makes the test to erratic to be trusted.
Instead I drive and then read the plugs, tweak, and drive again. Any
other method and I end up chasing the mixture all over the place: It
idles fine, but runs like crap or it won't idle but seems to drive fine
otherwise. Very frustrating. Reading the plugs takes more time and
energy, but the mixture ends up correct no matter what you have done to
your engine.
        For the choke settings, I set them according to Bentley, but
then adjust them further based on the smoothness of the fast idle. I
found the engine wanted more air when the cold idle was engaged, so I
ended up opening the choke more than Bentley stated. Bentley probably
works fine with a stock motor, but raise the compression and add a cam,
all bets are off.
        The bypass valves are easy, just use the Bentley procedure. You
will not need to adjust them again.
        All of this is done with the temp compensators blocked off and
the idle trim fully closed. After all of this other stuff is correct,
you can calibrate your temp compensators if need be.

        Vance

        P.S. I corrected your hyperlink to the photos. The one you gave
didn't work for me, but I found them eventually.

         (http://www.webshots.com/user/nosto53)