Re: Clutch pedal feel

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch pedal feel
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 11:29:22 -0700
Michael---The diff reenforcement should have nothing to do with what you
are feeling in the clutch.  There does seem to be something going on
with the clutch, as you know. I suspect that the fork pin is broken. The
classic signs are what you are feeling during the last bit of
disengaging/engaging the clutch. When the fork pin breaks, it has lost
most of its leverage in moving the fork forward, as only the stub
remains. The cure is replacement of the pin, and I'd suggest adding
another "pin" of sorts to anchor the fork to its operating shaft.
The t/o bearing carrier could also be starting to stick during clutch
engagement. Lots of different reasons for this as covered in Nelson's
article, if you were able to open it.

Difficulty when shifting into second gear could also be from the partial
clutch disengagement, but it could also be from worn synchros. The TR
box takes some warming up before shifting then becomes easier.

Dick

From:
samuelsMA@aol.com
Listers:
....I have noticed a new problem that may or may not be related.
....The only trans problem I have noticed is that it likes to grind when
upshifting into second gear when the gearbox is cold. Anyway, as the
come loose, I have noticed not only the usual clunk from the rear end
when engaging the clutch,
but also a change in the clutch pedal feel. It seems harder to depress
the pedal, and upon letting the pedal out, it seems to move less
smoothly. It is almost as if the pedal wants to push back at me upon
engaging the clutch, unless I concentrate on letting it out very
smoothly.
Could these problems (diff pin and clutch pedal effort/feel) be related
somehow?

The problem seems to be at the end of pedal travel (farthest from the
floor).
The actual shifting is fine, and there is no slippage.   Also, I drive
the car very gently, and shift slowly and deliberately out of habit.
Thanks.
Michael
'76 Tahiti blue
CF 57044U