Re: Overdrive trouble

To: "Rick" <patton@suscom-maine.net>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive trouble
From: "Terry Geiger" <tgeiger@shoalsbritishcars.org>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 16:20:36 -0500
Rick,

If you're going to power shift the overdrive you may want to consider an A
type overdrive instead of the J type.  The A types engage much harder with
no slippage.  I was talking to some racer types that run seriously
overpowered Triumphs and they always use the A type for this reason.

I think the A type requires a different mainshaft so it would be a somewhat
involved to convert your existing gearbox.

Just a thought; on the J type you may be able to drill the holes that feed
the pistons to get more oil into the piston chambers quicker, initiating a
faster and more positive clutch engagement.  I'm sure someone can answer
better but I think the holes are small on purpose to allow for a softer
engagement.  Maybe they did this because of customer complaints of harsh
engagments on the A types??

Rick, can you tell me more about the controller you're talking about?  Is
there a web site I can view?  I assume it's using a holding circuit to
accomplish this (like the old 240 Volvos that used the J type).  I'm in the
process of installing a Spitfire 1500 engine and overdrive transmission in
my wife's Herald and I'd like to use an easier to operate system for my
wife's car.

Terry Geiger
Florence, Alabama USA
http://www.shoalsbritishcars.org
'74 Triumph TR6 * '63 Triumph Herald * '84 Mercedes 300D Turbo Diesel