Trusty TR6 dies

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trusty TR6 dies
From: jeff m <jmackd1@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 06:44:37 -0700 (PDT)
My trusty TR6 finally met a tow truck. On the way to work yesterday, got on the
interstate, dropped it into 4th gear to settle into the commute to the city,
all the sudden the car started bucking and missing horribly, it gave me enough
time to get off ther interstate and into a store parking lot. Before it died it
gave a hellacious backfire. What is interesting is the problem is repeatable.
After sitting in the garage all day, i cranked on it and it fired right up,
drove around the neighborhood, no problem. Then i held the rpm at 3000 and
after a minute or so, it started sputtering and eventuallly died with a huge
backfire again. The engine has good spark and is getting fuel, could this be a
weak coil or weak fuel pump. Car is completely stock except for Crane XR700
electronic ignition.  Oh, it has weber carbs on it too.

Thanks in advance
Jeff
'75 TR6
Austin, TX