Ignition dropping out

To: 6pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ignition dropping out
From: Kendall Larsen <mailkendall@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 01:09:28 -0700 (PDT)
Hey again list,

Last post for tonight...

As punishment for taking to long to finish the simple fork pin repair, an
electrical gremlin found its way into my ignition system.

- 74.5 TR6
- Crane Fireball XR700 electronic ignition about 9 years old. Not many miles
though.
- Standard Alternator
- Electric Fan
- Otherwise stock

After I've been driving for 5 - 15 minutes, the ignition will completely drop
out. Sometimes just glitch just for an instant and then will keep going. More
often though it will completely die, and after sitting for several minutes the
spark will return. I'm certain that it is the spark going away because the last
time it died I pulled the coil wire and checked for spark, and there was none..
and after a few minutes the spark returned and I could drive home. It will die
when driving at a constant rate, idling, or while accelerating.

The optical pick-ups / shutter / trigger inside the distributor cap had a bit
of dust on them that I cleaned off with a q-tip. I drove it up the street (up
hill) a few times this morning after cleaning the optical trigger and it didn't
die on me. I know as soon as I try and go somewhere inconvenient it will
probably crap out again though.

Has anyone had a Crane XR700 go intermittent on them? IT would be easier if it
would just fail completely! Thoughts? Advice to switch back to points or at
least carry a set? All welcome... thanks!

Kendall
San Clemente, CA