Cause of Serious Problem found

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cause of Serious Problem found
From: "Andrew Packard" <apackard68@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 23:09:07 -0800
It appears to be a loose cam sprocket, as in the bolts were loose, causing
play in the sprocket.  The cam and crankshaft sprockets were not replaced
with the engine rebuild and the wear in the teeth of each seems to have
created play in a relatively new chain.  A new pair of sprockets, chain
tensioner, chain and front oil seal were received this weekend, so hopefully
everything can go back together very shortly.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and congratulations to those who
identified the proximity of the problem from my descriptions.

A quick story that's a bit humorous.  My local LBC mechanic dropped the oil
pan to inspect the front rod bearings.  At the bottom of the pan, he found
two roller bearings and a roller pin.  "Ah ha!," he exclaimed, thinking he
found the source of the problem.  He removed the rocker cover to find a set
of roller rockers, but no missing parts.  He called me and told me, "I found
parts in your oil pan that don't belong to your car."  I asked if they were
roller rocker parts, surprising him with my clairvoyance.  I then explained
that I was an owner of weak Swarthout roller rockers that had two arms
shatter on me soon after my engine rebuild. All parts were recovered except
those found at the bottom of the pan.  At the time, I was planning on taking
the 250 across the country from Baltimore to San Francisco, but was halted
by this setback.  I had to order a replacement set of roller rockers from
Goodparts, but the manufacturing of the pedestals was a little backed up.
Instead, I drove my newly purchased MINI Cooper S Convertible from Maryland
to California in just over three days and had my TR shipped out after it was
up and running again.  Add one more person to the list of Swarthout part
victims.  And I still have never received my valve cover that he promised me
("If it's the last thing I do . . . ).

Andy

CD6746 L "O"(HVDA)