Tire and speedo saga

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Tire and speedo saga
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 09:36:36 -0800 (PST)
I went through exactly the same thing when I got my 16 inch Panasports.  I
wanted a speed rated tire and could find none that gave me the identically
rolling diameter to the original tires and wheels.  I ended up buying some
Dunlop speed rated 205 X 55 X 16s.  In retrospect I now realize I didn't need
speed rated tires (non-speed rated tires are good for around 114 MPH) but I
just felt like I was going faster with a speed rated tire.

  I think the real issue may not be not how to correct the speedo but how many
more RPMs you will be turning at highway speeds.  Especially if you don't have
OD and do any extended highway driving.  I'm sure our engineer/math guys can
work this out but if you end up doing 3,500 RPM for 8 hours instead of 3,300
RPM it creates a lot more wear and tear on the engine and reduces your MPG more
than you would think.

  Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR 6