RE: Rear Wing?

To: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>, <acekraut11@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Rear Wing?
From: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 14:03:45 -0500
I have always been told by aero engineers etc, that aerodynamics make
almost no difference to a symmetric object moving below 80 mph. The only
thing they measure is cross-sectional area. A brick has the same drag
profile as an egg until the wind begins to flow closely around the
object at higher speed.

A spoiler for holding down the rear wheels only produces an effect at
quite a high rate of speed, hence the reason to use a bag of sand rather
than a rear wing during winter driving for standard (RWD) cars. For a
racer the wing works because, although the wing takes work from the
engine to move it, the wing does not take much power (assuming it's very
light compared to a bag of sand) to accelerate during slower cornering.
Those 1970s ground-effect fans and skirts on the formula cars were the
only really effective thing. They practically glued the car to the
ground. The theoretically achievable ground force was enormous;
massively outweighing the results from any other system.

For a racing TR, perhaps a rear wing could help balance the car's desire
to have the tail break free on high-speed cornering, but since I don't
have a racing TR6 I guess I will never know from firsthand experience.

Cheers,

Mark