RE: gauge seal and re-bushing kit questions

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: gauge seal and re-bushing kit questions
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 14:03:52 -0500
Here my contribution to the steering column bushes replacement, from
memory. Please treat as one data point, there may be
different/other/better ways so hang on a day or two to get some other
input..

You already have the dash and gauges off so you have clear access to
everything you need to remove. Normally you would need to remove the
speedo and tach.

Remove the steering wheel and horn components. Remove the escutcheons
and switches after labeling everything so you know how to re-assemble.
There is a black metal cable retaining channel that needs to be handled
with care otherwise the short piece of metal that engages with a slot in
the steering column will break off so don't mess with that until you
have the bolts slackened off and that channel can be removed without
having to bend anything.

Carefully photo/note how everything is assembled, in particular the
arrangement at the front where the anti torque bars, padding and
brackets are connected. There are quite a few brackets, metal bits and
felt strips that all need to go back the same way (with new felt) so
take your time.

The bolts at the rear bracket closest the dash are easily removed to
dismantle that bracket and the felt strip that you will be replacing.

The steering column bolts will be next and depending on the year may
consume the bulk of the time for this project. If they are the shear
bolt style you will need to coerce them out with a hammer and punch or
cut them off. Some people report good results with a dremel and cut off
disk to cut the bolts where the two halves of the brackets meet. Don't
buy replacement shear bolts or if you do don't tighten them to the point
where they shear. These bolts are counter-productive IMO.

Remove the bolts securing the front bracket. At this point you should
have a collection of bolts, brackets, felt strips and torsion bars and
the steering column should be loose but still retained to the lower
column under the hood.

So going under the hood remove the anti-kebab bracket that locks the
inner column to the outer but still allows the two pieces to slide in
the event of a collision. I recall that if you undo this you can them
withdraw the column from inside the car as the upper and lower pieces of
the inner column will separate with that locking unit removed.

By now you have the steering column on the bench.

Remove the cap from the bottom of the outer column and discard the old
tape that was securing it.

At this point I like to get some black plastic insulating tape and very
securely wrap the joint where the outer tube meets the section that
holds the switches and horn. This joint is just crimped on and since you
are about to manhandle this thing quite seriously it is a good idea to
discourage this joint from moving.

You can now go ahead and drill/poke/gouge the 4 "ears" of the old
bushes. You can see them at the top and bottom of the outer column. Try
and get as much of the ears off as you can without collateral damage to
the outer tube.

With the ears off my technique is to use the inner column as a gentle
drift to persuade the old bushes out. The steering lock has a convenient
bump in the inner column to allow this. Don't go crazy and remember the
wrapped joint that you are trying to protect.

With the old bushes out the inner column can be removed, cleaned up and
lightly lubed.

The new bushes can be pressed in, do the top or bottom first, then
insert the inner column, then the other bush. Use whatever is handy to
drift them into place and align the ears so they engage the holes on the
outer column.

You should find that the inner column is now moving smoothly and quietly
with no up/down play.

Replace the bottom cap and re-tape it.

Reassembly is the reverse using new felt from the TRF kit. There is also
a seal that goes at the front of the column to seal the bulkhead. On the
later cars it is two silly pieces of lightweight foam donuts.

You should be able to get this done in an afternoon with minimal bad
language other than the steering lock bolts on the later cars.

If your bushes are as knackered as mine were, you will be thrilled at
the transformation when you put it all back together.

I know many of us have done this so if I have missed something or got it
wrong I'm sure we will get more comments shortly. I have never seen this
documented in as much detail as other tasks so it would be helpful for
someone to capture this in detail when they do this project and get some
pictures..

Stan