More carburetor discussion

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: More carburetor discussion
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 21:17:54 EST
Listers:

Yesterday I noted that my front Zenith-Stromberg carb was running very rich
(making plugs 1-3 get very sooty and misfire) even after balancing the  carbs.
 I asked some advice about using the special tool to lean out the  mixture.
I had already ordered the mixture adjusting tool from TRF but it  hasn't yet
arrived.

I called TRF this evening to check on the delivery of the adjusting  tool.
It is on backorder.  However, Dave from TRF was kind enough to  spend some time
with me on the phone discussing the problem.  He suggested  that it made
little sense that the front carb would all of a sudden begin to run  rich
unless
it was malfunctioning, and that leaning out the mixture was probably  an
attempt to compensate for a different problem.  He suggested  checking some
other
things before adjusting the mixture:

1.    Check the fuel pressure with a gauge to make  sure that it was low
enough (1.5-2 psi, if I remember right).  If too high,  it can make the front
carb
run rich compared to the rear.  Pump  overpressure can occur if valves in the
fuel pump stick or wear  out.
2.    Take the float chamber off the carburetor and see  if a float is
cracked and full of fuel.  If so, extra fuel  can enter the combustion chamber.
3.    With the float chamber removed, remove the  metering needle assembly
and look for dirt.  If the metering needle gets  stuck, it can let extra fuel
into the combustion chamber.

I'm not sure if I got the details right, but it makes sense to me that  a
mixture adjustment shouldn't get way off for no reason on only 1  carburetor.
Does this make sense to you?

Thanks.

Michael
'76 Tahiti blue