Re: disc brake squeal

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: disc brake squeal
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:43:58 -0700
Michael---Usually the "best" solution is to use the factory materials,
as we know these cars didn't come new with squeaky brakes. If the '76 is
like the '73 TR6 it will have a metal plate between the caliper pistons
and the brake pads. This shim (I haven't actually measured it) is about
.015 thick, and is unmistakable as to it's purpose. If yours are
missing, see if they're available from any of the TR parts suppliers.
I wouldn't hold out much hope using the only the anti-squeal sprays.

Dick
'73

From: SamuelsMA@aol.com Date: Sat, Oct 15, 2005, 6:46pm (PDT+3) To:
6pack@autox.team.net Subject: disc brake squeal
List members:
The front brakes on my '76 have made a loud squealing noise since I
purchased the car several weeks ago. I just removed the pads and the
anti-squeal shims on the right front. The soft foil backing on the shims
had shredded. The pads themselves looked pretty new. I spoke with my
mechanic, and he suggested leaving out the shims and just using
anti-squeal spray on the backs of the pads.
What is the best solution--new shims without spray, new shims with
spray, or forget the shims and use the spray alone?
Thanks as always.
Michael
'76 Tahiti blue
CF 57044U