RE: head shaving

To: "oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: RE: head shaving
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 08:05:52 -0700
        Oliver:

        You don't say how much you want to shave the head. A light skim
(0.010") does
not require any fiddling, other than resetting the valve lash as usual.
        If you are going to go more than say, 0.080" then you will
probably need to
do something. You can shim the rocker pedestals, shorten your existing
pushrods, or
opt for the European spec rods from places like British Parts Northwest.
A set of
short push rods from BPNW will set you back all of $40, so it is not
that big a
deal.
        I skimmed mine 0.120", and decked the block 0.010". I reused my
stock pushrods
because I also installed a reground cam, which has a reduced base circle
(about 0.060"
smaller) which made the net change small enough that I could skate by
with my stock push
rods. My net compression ratio was 9.6:1 (originally 7.75:1).
        Bottom line - if you find you nearly run out of thread on your
adjusters, then
you need to shorten the push rods or shim the pedestals. Shortening the
push rods is
the preferred way to go.

        Vance