End of emissions woes (for 2 years)

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: End of emissions woes (for 2 years)
From: "Phil Beckman" <phil@opentext.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:41:05 -0400
Hallelujah, I passed my emissions!

Not sure exactly what did the trick but yesterday morning I finally
passed emissions with the TR6.  Thanks to all who gave me ideas and
things to try.

I replaced all the hoses and connections to the carbon canister and
hooked it up exactly as it was shown in the TRF Blue book but, after
doing that...the car completely failed to idle.  Clearly not the right
answer.  My guess is that the anti-runon valve is busted and is causing
a vacuum leak.  Anyway, I completely disconnected the carbon canister
from the car and just routed the line from the valve cover straight to
the 2 connections on the carbs.

I also put a drop of oil on all 4 places where the throttle shafts come
through the carbs on the off-chance that a little tiny bit of extra seal
there would help.

I retarded the timing just a few degrees, again thinking every little
bit helps.

Lastly I picked a nice cool morning to go have the test done.

This on top of all the little things I've done based on advice from the
list over the course of the summer.

The strange thing is that this time they didn't put the car on the dyno.
On my previous 2 attempts they would measure emissions at idle, then run
the car up to 30MPH on the dyno, measuring emissions again and then
finally bring it back to idle and take a 3rd measurement.  This time
they took a sampling while the car was at idle and then told me I had
passed.  Allowable CO was 8.0 and my reading was 7.6.  Maybe they just
finally took pity on me...not sure.  Anyway, I don't have to worry about
it for another 2 years now :-)

Thanks again for the help.

Phil Beckman

73 TR6