RE: Heater Valve Question

To: <acekraut11@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Heater Valve Question
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:54:49 -0400
I have had two of these fail also and when they go you are basically
stranded. I have seriously thought about fitting one of those spiffy
looking valves that TRF sells for the earlier TR's (green and brass if I
recall). I don't use my heater that much so it would not be a big deal
for me to have to control that from under the bonnet.

Another option might be a trip to Home Depot and look for a suitable
widget(s) to carry in case of emergency. The TR seems to use common pipe
threads for these connections. I do carry a spare standard valve but I
worry about it deteriorating over time and when I need to use it I will
have the same problem..

Stan

<snip>
I know that the heater valve is a weak point in the cooling system of
the car.  I have replaced the valve that was on the car when I bought
it because it began to leak and now the replacement that has been on
for less than 2 years is leaking when open.  I wondered if anyone had
dissected this wonderful little part to see if there was something that
could be done to repair it.  Or is that pretty much a lost cause and it
is time to send $20 or so to my favorite parts source and have another
one sent.  Are there a run of "bad" valves out there or does one
supplier have a valve that is manufactured with a little better
quality?
</snip>