Re: Extra brown wire

To: "John Mitchell" <jmitch@snet.net>, "6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Extra brown wire
From: "Jeff Fetner" <fetnerj001@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:00:30 -1000
John,

  My alternator had a single brown wire (small wore size) that went on a
Lucar fitting just below the multi-plug.  The unit got noisy, so I replaced
it with another Lucas one that didn't have that Lucar fitting on it (even
though the black plastic cover had the same opening for one).  Apparently
some (early 18ACR?) units needed to sense the battery voltage, hence the
small brown wire.  I think the regulator on later/rebuilt versions didn't
need it.  That wire is not connected to anything on mine now, and the
alternator works as well as a Lucas 18ACR can.

Jeff
'74 TR6

Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2005 1:05 PM
Subject: Extra brown wire