dying upholstery

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: dying upholstery
From: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:02:32 -0700 (PDT)
Listers:

Not being one to leave well enough alone, I have decided to investigate dying
the piping on my seats and the bindings on my carpet. All are black and my car
body is Emerald Green. My BIG IDEA is to dye the aforementioned parts a bright
green to coordinate with the green body color.

I realize most vinyl dyes come in sprays which means I will have to mask off
most of my seats and carpet.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone tried applying a dye over black?

2. Did it cover the black?

3. What kind of material prep is required? Use acetone? Laquer thinner? or ????

I doubt most of you are foolish enough to even consider doing this, but here in
Missouri it's 101 degrees and 60% humidity. That tends to addle one's
judgement, I suppose.

I LOVE THIS LIST!

Jim